Date: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 | Time: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm ET | Location: Miami, FL
Join WalkUp Foundation founder Ryan Petty in Miami with the U.S. Secret Service’s National Threat Assessment Center for a full day of programming around the recently released US Secret Service report, Protecting America’s Schools
The U.S. Secret Service's National Threat Assessment Center (NTAC) is presenting their latest research report on targeted school violence entitled “Protecting America’s Schools: A U.S. Secret Service Analysis of Targeted School Violence“ and the report’s implications for the prevention of targeted violence in schools. The study examines 41 targeted attacks that occurred in K-12 schools from 2008-2017 in which at least one person was harmed. The study expands beyond the previous 2002 study, the Safe Schools Initiative, and will discus relevant topics to threat assessment including, but not limited to:
- Motives, targeting tactics, and harm caused
- Concerning communication made prior to the attacks
- The diversity of stressors and home-life factors that may have played a role
- School histories of discipline and performance
- Concerning behaviors exhibited prior, who may have observed them, and what actions may or may not have been taken by others
- Histories of behavioral or emotional issues and their impact on actions
This free event is open to law enforcement, teachers, counselors, principals, superintendents, School Resource Officers, school psychologists, community mental health professionals, and other school safety and security stakeholders.
You MUST register to attend.
- Registration/Check-in is between 8:00 am – 9:00 am. The event begins at 9:00 am.
- For questions, please contact USSS Miami Field Office, (305) 863-5050 / firstname.lastname@example.org